I had my 6 week postpartum doctor’s appointment last week and was given the go-ahead to work out again. Woo hoo! While I’ve actually lost more weight than I’ve gained during pregnancy, my body feels soft and my jeans still don’t button. I’m so ready to get back into better shape than I was in pre-baby! But then I thought to myself, where in the world am I going to find the time?! Sure, I get some downtime during the day, but it comes in random spurts and not always consistent.
I know that the quality and intensity of the workout is what matters most and then I thought to myself that if I can get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day (on top of all of the other activity I’m doing by carrying Allston, bouncing him on the ball, climbing stairs, etc.) I’ll be doing alright.
Enter the stopwatch app on my iPhone!
I decided to set my stopwatch when I got some activity in and keep tracking it cumulatively for the day. So far I’ve been able to get up to 30/35 minutes 3 days in a row without trying very hard at all.
Here are some tips I have for making it work:
1) Always be ready! (sorry for the uber blurry pic)
Sometimes you don’t know exactly when you’ll get those 10 minutes to do some burpees and push-ups if your baby is unpredictable like mine. After breakfast I’ve been getting dressed into my workout clothes and will take advantage of any free minute to squeeze in a workout!
2) Go on Instagram and find some inspiring fitness experts to follow who post their quick and intense workouts. My faves are Natalie Jill and Lori Harder! Just one look at their bodies and you’ll get inspired. And their workouts are so easy to do at home…but they ain’t easy!
3) Find an activity that distracts your baby for 5-10 minutes. Allston LOVES his jungle mat so I plop him on the mat while I knock out an intense 5-10 minutes. He also has the best puppysitter ;-).
Look how mesmerized he is!
4) Crank it out at nap time! Allston tends to take a morning nap in his swing so I have my workout mat and weights ready, pop in my workout video (I love 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels) and do a quick 20 minute workout while Allston snoozes.
And even if he’s not snoozing he enjoys watching me jump around and acting a fool.
5) Get out for a walk! I so wish we could be doing more of this but even here in Atlanta the temps have been frigid. Damn polar vortex.
6) Use the baby carrier and get moving.
There’s so much you can do with the baby on board. You can do squats, lunges, stair climbs. But a word to the wise…dress lightly or else you and your baby will end up SWEATY! Not fun for either one of you.
7) No excuses people. We all have an extra 30 minutes in our day to knock out some activity and be healthier for our babies. Of course some days are tougher than others but I find I’m much more successful getting it done in the morning hours.
And now that the boss is stirring it’s back to work for me!